Tiraspol is a city located in the Southeast of Moldova. Since the 17th century, this city has always had a thriving Jewish presence. By 1897, the Jewish community equaled 27 percent of the total population of Tiraspol (8,668). During the Holocaust, nearly the entire Jewish community perished in Nazi concentration camps. After World War II, the Jewish community began to grow once again and, by the 1960s, there were nearly 1,500 Jews
Tiraspol is the capital and administrative center of the self-proclaimed independent Republic of Transnistria, and the second largest city in the Republic of Moldova (as internationally recognized). The city is located on the eastern bank of the Dniester River. It is known for being one of the few remaining cities that is still largely unchanged from when it was part of the Soviet Union. Two statues of Lenin still stand.
In 1989 the city had a population of about 190,000 people. 41% were Russians, 32% Ukrainians and 18% were Moldovans. As result of the political and economic situation that followed the proclamation of the independent (not recognized) Republic of Transnistria, the population of the city fell below its 1989 number and the 2004 Census in Transnistria puts its current population at 158,069.